[Nfb-krafters-korner] Do-it-yourself latch hook

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 01:00:16 UTC 2012

Latch hook making program

Hi Michael,

This program was quite interesting and has potential, but it can not work
for a totally blind person without assistance at this point.

My sister and brother-in-law uploaded a picture of their cat in front of
their Xmas tree. They were able to choose how many colors they wanted in the
pattern and what size they wanted the canvas to be. the file they downloaded
of the latch hook pattern for the cat was quite good and had a chart showing
what square to put each color in. They commented to me that if they'd had a
better picture of the cat and tree, the pattern probably would have been
even nicer and if they'd asked to have more than twelve colors the picture
would have looked even more realistic. As it was, my sister was quite
excited by the possibilities for using the program for herself and wants to
take a picture of her family and make a latch hook rug of it. this was the
woman who has told me up till  now that she does not want to do any crafts
anymore.

Anyhow, my brother-in-law sent me a text copy of the pattern. It listed all
the colors in words for me with a graphic and a letter of the alphabet to
represent what each color was. The letters representing each color were not
intuitive in that the color forest green was the letter A instead of perhaps
FG and the color silver was B instead of perhaps SL. Then I was given the
yarns per inch of the project and  was also given the size of the project in
inches and then had to math out how many rows I would have and how many
yarns in each row.  No real problem, in this case it was 5 yarns per inch
and per row, making it 60 by 45 yarns for a 12" by 9" project.

Then the real difficulty was that the pattern was simply written out with a
graphic next to a letter in the alphabet corresponding to each color. for
example: a c a a a b d f I and so on.

I was unable to determine where one row ended and the next row began and of
course I could not remember which letter of the alphabet stood for each
color.

This is a wonderful tool for a sighted person to make their own latch hook
picture and for any one who has some one sighted who can help them to read
the chart. You buy blank or lined canvas and your own yarn and hook and away
you can go.

Cathy