[Nfb-krafters-korner] forest spirit plate or bowl?

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Thu Jan 12 22:24:13 UTC 2012

HOORAY! I am so glad your looks good too. It can be called an open bowl, or
a free form plate - depending on how high or how steep the sides are. Some
of mine are much flatter than this one, and this one I sent photos of is
really a free form bowl.

I had said that I keep my work covered a lot to make it dry slowly and
evenly. And, I even spritz it a bit to keep it moist longer. What you never
want is for the edges to dry before the center of the bowl or you may
experiencing cracking. You want the edges to remain moist, as well as the
rest of the piece for as long as you can keep it that way. I cover mine with
layers of newspapers, and then put a plastic sheet over that.

When you do this, you will find thenewspapers are very wet each time you
check the piece. That means, the water is coming very gently out of the clay
and into the layers of newspapers.

I have only had mine unovered for two or three times, and for only a short
time, since the class on Tuesday night.  I had an extra bit of clay, and
today made another one, and this one is flatter and sits down on the table -
no feet on it.

They are FUN to make aren't they?

Yours will be beautiful!

Lynda River Woman