[Nfb-krafters-korner] what is a cab ?

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Mon Jan 23 23:21:31 UTC 2012

it is not a bead at all, but a stone that is cut and polished.
In encrusted beadwork, you "capture the cabochon" and you piece begins with
capturing your cabs. And, then you work from there.  I work on Laceys Stiff
Stuff, and I use Fireline in my work.  To anchor my cab before anything else
begins, I use a very tiny "glue dot" to adhere the cab down to the stiff
stuff and so I can begin the bead working process on the cab.

I use natural stones I gather from the rivers here in PA, and other objects
as well, besides stone cabs in my work.  My most recent works tell a story.
I use fabrics as a base, with the Lacey's Stiff Stuff beneath the fabric - I
baste them together to make them flat, and then I begin the bead working. I
work over top of the images on the fabric, as if they were not even there. I
disregard them completely as I work - thus, creating an abstract painting
out of beadworking.  This is called "overcoming the surface."  It is very
complex in execution and in finished piece of art.

Lynda