[Nfb-krafters-korner] Types of necklace clasp

Barb Roland barbwire59 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 02:04:16 UTC 2012

Hi all, the other night in the fine wire necklace class there was some discussion on types of necklace clasp to use, so I did a little online searching and here is what I found, but I did not find a description of the screw on clasps.
Barb

These are the most common types of clasps used in beadwork.

     Hook and Loop   Easy to use. Can be made by hand with some wire (gauge 20 or thicker). May come apart if hook is stretched.

      Barrel Clasp  Attractive, simple, and unobtrusive. May come untwisted on anklets.

      Spring Ring   The old standby: inexpensive and secure. Often requires nimble fingers to use.

      Lobster Claw  . Secure, attractive, easy to use, but a little pricy. Use a jump ring or split ring for the other side

      Toggle Clasp   Simple and elegant. Can be bulky, but is great for thick necklaces.