[Nfb-krafters-korner] SEWING MACHINE

artist imanartist at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 19 13:55:06 UTC 2012

Cutting and aligning fabric is not easy and practice does not seem to
improve my skills in that.   I mark all my fabric on the wrong side for
color and for the correct side.  That way, I can leave the marker on until
the seam is sewn  and it is where I can feel it without having to open up
the pieces or ask someone else if I have done it correctly.

To help me with aligning
 the edges of the squares or other shapes, I baste my fabrics right side
together before I cut them into shapes.  I use either spray baste or I
machine or hand baste with a large easy to remove stitch.  Regardless of how
you cut them, the pieces you plan to sew together will already be aligned
and basted together thus eliminating the need to pin.  This alone is a big
timesaver and you don't have to worry about whether your corners meet.  .
This works well both with squares and with triangles.  Henrietta, Your
method of placing a half square at ends of rows sounds like a good one and
simplifies having to match seams.  I don't have a problem matching seams but
plan to try it anyway .  JoAn----- Original Message -----