[Nfb-krafters-korner] Supplies for Gum Drop Tree

Nina Pratt jolirose at samobile.net
Wed Nov 7 03:51:58 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,  Here is a list of supplies you will need for making the
gumdrop tree.

1. a styrofoam cone measuring about 10 inches -- You can use any size
you like based on how big or small you want your tree to be but the
ones I've made generally ranged from 10 to 12 inches tall. I checked
with Michael's and they carry styrofoam coans and I think Joanne Fabric
has them as well.

2. 2 1/4 pounds of gumdrops -- I think they usually come in 1 pound
bags so you will probably want to get 3 bags so as to have enough for a
10 to 12 inch tree. Of course, you will probably want to sample a few
as you work too. Usually I used up about 2 and a quarter bags for a 10
inch cone. Check around to see if you can find the bags that only
contain red and green gumdrops. Actually, you can use any color
combination you like. But if you want to use mostly red and green, it
helps if you can find the bags that contain just these colors. It saves
you from having to sort out as many gumdrops because the average bag
contains about 5 or 6 different colors. .  I know I have found the
holiday colors of gumdrops at grocery stores and places like Target or
Walmart. You might also try CVS or Walgreens. You may find it easier to
sort out the different colors of gumdrops yu want to use in to separate
bowls before you begin your tree. I label the bowls so I won't forget
which is which but those of you whith some vision may not need to do this. .

3. toothpicks -- These will need to be broken or cut in half. You can
do this ahead of time or as you're putting the candy on the cone. I
like to get at least some toothpicks ready beforehand.

4. tin foil -- I like to cover my styrofoam cone with foil before
putting the candy on. The foil separates the candy from the styrofoam
and also helps to cover up any gaps between the gumdrops that might
show the white cone. You do not have to use foil if you don't wish to;
it's just something I like to do.

5. a tree topper -- You can be very creative in how you choose to top
your gumdrop tree. You can simply use a large gumdrop or cluster of
gumdrops at the tip of the cone. I like to use yellow ones at the top.
In this case, you may wish to purchase at least one bag of gumdrops
containing a variety of colors. It all depends on how creative you want
to be. I have also used things like cupcake decorations that have those
little picks on them. You can just stick them in the top of the cone.

6. a pillar candle holder -- Some people use this as a base for their
gumdrop tree. I never did so I do not know much about this method. We
always put ours on small holiday themed paper plates and gave them as gifts.

7. large Ziploc bag or plastic wrap -- To keep the candy fresh, you
might want to store your tree in a large Ziploc bag or wrap it in
something like Saran Wrap when you have finished it.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I am looking forward to
this chat and think it will be a lot of fun.

Nina Pratt