[Nfb-krafters-korner] creating a new project from an old project -- retry

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 18:25:20 UTC 2012

Hopefully, this email will go through.

So, I've got a delemma. I started crocheting a cowl. I've been wanting
to make a few cool cowls. However, the yarn I am using is too stiff
and I don't like it as a cowl. I'm about 5 inches in and I'm working
in the round. I've decided the cowl needs to become something else
like a hat. All hat patterns I've seen online start the hat from the
top and work their way to the brim of the hat by increasing stitches.
How do I work the other way and actually finish off the hat?

I've looked up how to decrease stitches using a half double crochet
stitch but I'm stymied as to how I should decrease per row and how I
actually close the hat. should I gather it together somehow?

In fact, I have seen hat patterns where you basically make a scarf,
fold in half, weave up the short ends and then thread the yarn through
one opening and draw together. Wouldn't this look really bulky?

Anyhoot, opened to any ideas from all you fabulous crafters!

LM