[Nfb-krafters-korner] hemming jeans

Ramona Walhof ramona.walhof at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 23:19:31 UTC 2012

Jennifer, you want the jeans to be the same length all the way around each
leg and the legs to be the same length.  It is up to you how far off the
floor you want them.  Boot length is higher than some.  If they are closer
to the floor, the front of the legs will be on your foot, but that is all
right with that style.

Sometimes pants don't hang evenly, and you should correct that.  I have
peoplemark with a pin on each seam, one in front, and one in back.  If you
need to take off quite a bit of length, don't try to fold it all up, but cut
most of it off.  If you zigzag the edge of the fabric, you can just turn it
up once.  Since most jeans are fairly heavy fabric, that may be easier to
handle.  Generally, you can take what you cut off one leg and pin it to the
second one and just cut along the edge of the piece from the first leg.
However, even then, I would check to be sure they hang the same.  Some
people have one leg that is a little longer or one hip that is a little
higher.

People are not as worried about such things as they were when I was a kid,
fifty plus years ago.  I have a cousin who staples her pants to shorten
them.  Very seldom will anybody notice, and she doesn't care if they should.
.

Ramona