[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting in Biology Class

Sarah Sykes sarahmsykes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:38:51 UTC 2012

Oh, folks! My knitterly heart just skipped several beats! I'm laughing
SO hard right now.

This is perfect for the Halloween season.

I will warn you, you may find the following slightly gross. My
apologies, if so, but I think it's worth sharing anyway.

Okay, I was dinking around on Facebook when a designer friend shared a
photo of this little gem of an item on Etsy called "Knitting in
Biology 101". I will describe it below, To see it in person, follow
this link. http://www.etsy.com/listing/69071018/knitting-in-biology-101-black-background

"Knitting in Biology 101"
The artist has taken a black, wooden, eight by ten inch frame with
black backing and, using T-pins has stretched fastened to the frame a
hand knitted dissected frog. The pale green frog body, knit from a
silk wool blend, is mostly in tact, save two knitted flaps of skin
that have been pinned back to reveal tiny hand felted froggy organs
made of 100% wool. A lot of detail was put into this, making the
organs appropriately colored and shaped, red liver, pink lungs,
slightly darker pink heart, pale blue veins, olive green gal bladder,
orange asaphagus, beige stomach, brown small intestines, and very pale
blue large intestines. Oh, yes, and I must mention that when you tilt
the head forward to reveal the top side of it, the eyes are shown as
black x's. In case you don't know, using x's in place of eyes is a
common visual effect used when drawing a cartoon or stick figure who
is dead.

The artist is also selling kits to create this little guy yourself,
or, you can also purchase just the pattern. So, if you need a little
ghoulish knitting project, go check it out! There are several other
biology project art pieces there, too, such as an earthworm, a pig, an
alien, a brain.  It's crazy fun!

Cheers,
Sarah M Sykes
www.sarahmsykes.com