[Nfb-krafters-korner] scrap booking link and a little info

Neva Fairchild nevafairchild at verizon.net
Tue Sep 4 17:55:18 UTC 2012

I have been scrapbooking and making other rubber stamp art paper projects
for about 10 years. The creative outlet this craft gave me got me back into
other artistic pursuits and I am forever grateful to those who encouraged me
then. If I can pass that encouragement on to just one person, I will be
thrilled. I had more vision as a youngster than I do now and at one time saw
color, so some of the concepts are a little easier for me than for those of
you who never saw color, but still not impossible. For example, monochrome
pages or cards are quite beautiful, and learning some basic color
combinations that are pleasing to the sighted world isn't that hard. I
personally keep notes about what colors go well together from the company I
buy all my stamp art supplies from. I like sticking with one company because
you can be sure that the Real Red paper matches the Real red ink which
matches the Real Red ribbon, buttons, brads, etc., etc., etc. Stampin' Up is
the company I use, but there are lots of choices out there. Just remember
that pink is not pink is not pink when you get your pink stuff from
different sources. For those of you with color perception that can match and
blend, my hat is off to you and your creative outlets are more diverse than
mine. I started my stamp art craft with one set of stamps that had small
images that could be used to make gift tags and included a stamp that says
to and from to combine with the all occasion images. I bought a combined
"family" of paper and two inks that blended or matched that family. With
Stampin' Up this is easy because all their colors are divided into families
and groups like that. I bought a Fiscar paper cutter and some repositionable
adhesive squares so that when I don't get things that I am layering just
right, I can carefully peel the layers apart and try again. Since that first
purchase 10 years ago I have bought several hundred more stamp sets and all
48 colors of ink and paper and untold embellishments. Now you ask, "how do
you keep it all organized?", and that is the hardest part. I mark each stamp
with a braille number and each set with a braille label of its name. In my
note taker, I have an Excel spreadsheet with the name in column a and a
brief description of each stamp's image in the subsequent columns in
numerical order. So, it might read "Forest Friends" 1 snail 2 fawn 3 rabbit
4 frog. If I need more detail, like whether it is outline or cartoonish or
sketched, I put it there. I use hanging files and file boxes for each paper
family and color and I mark each ink pad with the color name. The hardest
thing for me is to keep up with the marking as I purchase. Obviously, it
takes a sighted helper for this task and for some things my husbands very
capable eyeballs can read color names, etc., but to describe images it takes
my daughter who is also an artist to give me enough information to use the
stamps later. I would suggest that anyone wanting to start this craft begin
with a simple kit. Maybe something with some paper, an ink spot or two and
some embellishments like buttons or ribbon. All the companies sell these. If
you can find a demonstrator in your area that offers workshops, and has some
patience to think about how they would do this craft without vision, get
involved and learn some techniques. I will admit there are some techniques I
simply cannot do. Like, stamping an image and punching it out with a
matching punch, but there are some that you wouldn't think I could do, but I
can. Like, two step flowers, one stamp is the outline and the other is the
filler. Guess what, they still look great when they don't line up exactly.
Even the gals with 20/20 can't get it perfect. It's not supposed to be
perfect, it's hand made. Factories make things perfect. Artists make things
beautiful.

Be kind, always. It is the most important rule of man; be kind in all
things. Anger steals your joy, fear steals your heart, worry steals your
life. But, in kindness there is never a fault...Steve Carter

Neva Fairchild
972 416-7039