[Nfb-krafters-korner] joining crocheted squares

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 21:09:48 UTC 2012

Hi Debbie,

I can't seem to remember exactly how I attached the squares on the last
granny square blanket I used. but I know that I did sew them.  I can't quite
remember how I did it, but probably the whipstitch.

However, here is a file I have in my computer about joining squares, perhaps
this will help you.
I believe I got this from www.about.com, but am not positive on that.

Cathy

How To Join Crocheted Squares

Ways to Join Crocheted Squares or Motifs

Using a yarn needle ...
You can use a large-eye needle to sew the edges with a whip stitch. (Note:
I've used a darker color yarn for the joining stitches in these examples, so
that you can see these stitches easier ... but you'll want to use a color
for the joining yarn that matches your squares, when you are sewing squares
together.)
Sew through the back loops only. (This cuts down on the bulk of the joining
row so that the pieces will lay flat.)
I find the easiest way to be to place the squares with right sides together,
then work along the edge, sewing though the back loops only of the two
thicknesses.
When finished with one edge, open the two squares back up and there should
be a nice ridge formed along the seam by the remaining front loops.

Using a crochet hook ...

Another way to join is by slip stitch through the back loops only. This is
done with the right sides of the two squares or motifs held together.
Instead
of slip stitch, you can use single crochet (this will form a ridge on wrong
side).

When you're joining pieces that have spaces between the stitches on the last
row, you can use chains anchored with slip stitches or anchored with single
crochets, as in the example below.
This example shows a chain 2 in between each slip stitch. Shown is a joining
that works well with granny squares. For other types of squares or motifs,
vary the number of chains and vary where you place the anchor stitches, to
compliment the pieces you are joining.

To make a decorative ridge with your joining row, single crochet through
both loops on the right side of the pieces (wrong sides held together).