[Nfb-krafters-korner] Yarn Shopping

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Tue Sep 11 14:29:53 UTC 2012

Good Morning!
I, too, can see some color at times. It all depends on the lighting and if
my eyes are cooperating at that moment. I can see a "color family" usually,
such as I know it might be green, and it might be a bright shade of green,
or a darker shade - but I do not see any of the nuances that make it sing.
And, sometimes I am absolutely wrong in what I think the color is.  When I
am yarn shopping, my granddaughter helps me by describing what she sees in
the yarn - oh, but I do love to shop for yarn, no matter what. Yes, I am a
yarn aholic for sure. I wonder if they have Yarn Alcaholics   meetings? But,
then, who would want to be cured from it? It is such a nice SOFT addiction,
isn't it.

About knitting - it is because it is done one stitch at a time that it is so
satisfying to me. It is a Zen moment, each stitch a meditation, a point of
contact with a place of timelessness and peace. It is a spiritual matter for
me. All art is a spiritual activity, nothing to do with production, or
hurry, or speed, or product. It is about the journey, walking on the path,
one movement at a time.  That is why I am not a "crafter" at all, and no one
would ever call me that. For me, it is about the union of spirit and
material reality - I don't do "crafts" at all.

Today, I am working on the Double Weave Scarf. I started it yesterday and
knitted the pattern rows - I think about 18 rows. But, then I discoverd mine
was nothing like the one pictured....so I had to RIP it all out and begin
again. I had done it wrong.  Then, I did do the entire 18 rows again, and
how it is right - so I am now on the right path with that. It is a very
beautiful pattern.
It is a Knit-a-Long project with Fiber Minds on FaceBook and I know it will
turn out really nice from what I can tell at this early stage.

I am working on Steeler Scarves, too, and have now finished three of them.
I think I will do about six - they are for a Christmas Market I do with
other artists in November. I am using the Lion Brand pattern:  Harry Potter
Wizard's Scarf...it's free...on-line.  It takes a god amount of time to do
because it has to be folded in half lengthwise when you have finished the
knitting - then you sew it and add a fringe. So you are really knitting a
double scarf, to do this. But, it is worth it, because it makes a really
hefty scarf - and quite dramatic. Would be nice to use for any favorite team
colors.

OK< Back to the scarf...Lynda