[Nfb-krafters-korner] Yarn Shopping

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 02:28:01 UTC 2012

lol --
I have to laugh at this thread...  I am a craftoholic and I guess that
includes yarn.
I laughed when I read Lisa Mari's intro as a yarnoholic -- kind of sounds
like what they say at AA meetings.
I love color as well -- until recently, even though I have been mostly blind
for most my life, I always had extremely good color vision, even more than
other family members who were sighted.  And I love bright colors -- there is
something about seeing a color that gets the endorphins going in my brain.
I do believe there is a tangible change in the brain when you look at
something that pleases you.
However, in recent years I have lost my color accuity.  I still see bright
colors, and sometimes catch a shade of more muted colors, but some days I
also have to ask someone what color things are.  It's disappointing, but I
know I can't stop the changes in my eye, so I am just updating my daily
routine and trying to keep colors in my memory as long as possible.

Now as for yarn, I used to do a lot of knitting and crocheting, but lately
I've gravitated toward other crafts.  I just got bored with spending so much
time making such a little swatch of material. (Actually, when I was working,
I had a friend from church who owned a knitting factory, and I asked him on
his machines how long it took his employees to complete one sweater.  He
said 2.5 hours.  It's a little hard to go back to one-stitch-at-a-time after
hearing how a factory can do a sweater in 2.5 hours.)

I still have a stockpile of yarn from back in my knitting days, but it
doesn't get used very often.

I do have half a zigzag afghan in my closet for my brother.  I made one for
my other brother, but I haven't been able to get motivation to finish this
one.  It is pretty -- it has 4 colors, light yellow, lemon yellow, royal
blue and navy blue.  I have the colors arranged as follows:
2 rows dark blue, 4 rows lighter blue, 2 rows light yellow, 2 rows lemon
yellow,
then repeat until done.
Each row has 18 peaks.

When I am done I am going to finish the afghan with an edge of single
crochet using 2 strands of yarn all the way around.
Also, the start row will be the foot of the afghan, and the ripples will not
be filled in, but up at the other end I am going to fill in the troughs with
crocheting until it is straight across, so the person won't have ripples in
his face.

Well, I hope that is clear.
To make the ripples (in case someone doesn't know), I increase by 2 stitches
at the peak, by crocheting 3 stitches in the stitch on the previous row that
is at the top of the peak.  For the troughs, of course, you have to
compensate by decreasing 2 stitches.  I did this by simply skipping over 2
stitches and continuing in the 3rd.
To make sure the sides are right, I split the trough at the beginning and
end of the row -- decrease 1 stitch by skipping a stitch and continuing in
the next stitch.  As you can see, this decreases 2, which makes the total
number of stitches decreased match exactly the same as the total number of
increased stitches.
*****

Ok, never start an email about crafts when in a rambling mood *smile*
Happy crafting!
--le