[Nfb-krafters-korner] for Cathy - about rug hooking

Deidre Muccio deimucc at verizon.net
Wed Apr 3 02:13:35 UTC 2013

Cathy
Let's see, I suppose this could be costly unless you have storerooms of
fabric that can be cut up, or a neighbor with a house full of fabric, or
other friends who want to give you a bunch of their well-twisted yarn for
punch hooking.
	My neighbor makes twined woven rugs and she gives me strips of wool
she has made from garments and new fabrics that she has gathered over
decades. She cuts the wool into strips with scissors. She gives me the stuff
that won't work in her rug making. I've got rolls of wool uncut and cut
strips made of old camel hair coats, plaids of all sorts, pastels of all
colors and hues, some red wool from Switzerland, lots and lots of stuff. She
gave me a box of cotton jersey recently and told me the only cost for any of
this was that I made rugs! I have saved a lot of money this way. I also like
to give my local shop money for things like hook and backing since they have
been very generous in their coaching and enthusiasm on my behalf. They do
have beautiful wool cloth there so sometimes I buy a color I want and don't
have already. I bought all my wool there for the first piece I did.
	Some hard facts are that the shop charges $30 per yard for linen and
monk's cotton cloth. I don't remember what they charge for the cotton
backing that is starched into a stiff screen like backing.  If you can find
it somewhere else, go for it. My neighbor just sold me a yard and a quarter
of some kind of linen she used to make towels out of "for the guys." She
charged me $14 which is what she paid for it ages ago. The problem is it's a
different kind of linen, similar, but the threads of the fabric are not
elastic as the cloth I buy at the shop is. I can still use it though.
	You can take wool and cut it to manageable size then use a cutter
cutting parallel to the salvage. At my little shop, you can buy hand died
little wool swatches of any color you want and can find, and you can fill a
decent baggie with a mere 1/4 yard or less and it might cost you a few
dollars. Now buying a few different colored swatches, enough to do a small
piece for starters, will add up.
	The hooks aren't cheap. I think the cheapest one I've found is
around $35 and they are no cheaper when shopping on-line.
	You can hook on burlap and embroidery cloth you have sitting around.
I was even thinking of seeing if I could find something like nylon laces or
cotton jersey to hook through a rubber non slip backing for a rug. I'm
talking about the ones you buy to put under a rug and that has little holes
in it. It probably would not hold up but it would be fun to play with.
	So there is some labor intensive work involved in cutting various
fibers into usable strips. Cotton jersey should best be done with a rotary
cutter and it's slow going. Those materials, once again, my neighbor loaned
me, the most expensive part of that  is the board you cut on. It wouldn't be
a place to start unless that is the kind of material you have in abundance
sitting around.
	I can't imagine taking on yet another project like teaching a rug
hooking class right now, though it would be fun to turn other interested
persons onto it. It would probably be much better for a beginner to go to
some local people at a shop  who rug hook and can show you what it is about.
Plus you might well gain an overnight community of rug hookers and have a
place to go work and hang out while rug hooking if you want. My shop allows
for this. It's small and cozy and warm and fun to be at. One of the owners
bought a water bowl for my dog and they all love walking her when I'm busy
cutting fabric. They allow her loose thee because she is so sweet and well
behaved and she loves greeting the customers.
	So, Cathy, seek, and you will find.