[Nfb-krafters-korner] Help with BARD please

blake blakentracy at live.com
Thu Aug 29 21:39:06 UTC 2013

On 8/29/2013 3:43 PM, Blindhands at aol.com wrote:
> Ok, I am hanging my head in shame.  I never did go on BARD website  until
> today.
>
> Now I don't know what to do.
>
> I called my library for the blind and they told me I had registered and
> they told me my Victor Reader was there.
>
> I did  this several years ago when I first got my Victor Reader  Stream.
> Honestly, I do not remember if I ever went on the BARD   website nor if I
> ever put in the id numbers for the player.
>
> I did spend some time on the BARD website going thru the Q & A and over  on
> Humanware in the support section for Victor Reader and I even called up my
> local Blind library services and spoke to my librarian and her support
> person.
>
> Now here is my questions that no one could answer and they told me to read
> all these files and I could not find the answers.
>

> 1. How can  I find out if my player is registered.  It doesn't  have any
> information like the players that are registered to be used on my  account.
> [Audible.com has a list for me].
> 2. Is my player that I got from NLS registered or do I have to do
> something?
> 3. What do I need to do to use my NLS player?
> 4.  I downloaded a book on my computer.  I can find it.  [I  don't
> understand why I couldn't download it to the Victor Reader stream], but do  I need
> to make a special folder on the Victor Reader memory card or which folder
> should transfer it into?
> 5. Do you have to select all the files that downloaded [the entire book]
> and copy and paste onto the flash card in Victor Reader?
> 6. Does anyone use a thumb drive to copy books and listen to on the NLS
> Player?  I need to find the thumb drive and they told me it should not be  any
> larger then 8 gigs or was it megs?
> Joyce  Kane
> Blindhands at AOL.com

I am not sure how to tell about your authorization, but I know about
your third question. I use a thumbdrive to download books from bard all
the time, when my cartrige is not with me or I can't find my cord. I
don't see why there should be a limit on size, but one warning about
thumb drive. Unlike the cartrige, the player likes to mess up sometimes
especially if you move it around. It says cartrige error, or for some
reason sets you back a few chapters, or just reads how many books and
the battery again. If you keep it still though, it's usually fine. It's
just picky.