[Nfb-krafters-korner] dropped stitches and other things

Deidre Muccio deimucc at verizon.net
Sat Feb 2 20:36:23 UTC 2013

Ruthie
I felt a hole in the fabric last night which I thought was a dropped stitch.
It turned out to be a stitch  that I knit too big, meaning I must not have
had tension enough on the live yarn which resulted in my getting a big
stitch. The neighbor showed it to me, I could feel over a quarter inch of
yarn just there on the back of the fabric. She will fix it somehow when I'm
done with the entire piece.
	I wore my fisherman's knit sweater today and when I took my coat
off, she  swooned at the sight of it. I haven't worn this sweater at all
this winter thinking it might be looking ragged by now. I've had this
sweater for perhaps 15 years and bought it at the Salvation Army when I
first got it. It needs some repair but she's going to do it for me - it
turns out it's in great shape except for a few spots. I love this sweater.
It is turtle neck, has a knit pattern on it I can't describe, it's a natural
color wool and I even threw it in the washing machine which my neighbor was
horrified to hear.
	It's really interesting to see what yarns I can and can't work with
at this point. I bought from a cheap crafts store 6 ounces of a 70 acrylic,
30 wool yarn to practice with. I pulled out some rough 13 needles and could
not knit with this 4 ply yarn at all. It was flat and stuck to itself. I was
however able to knit easily with a much finer yarn by Cascade which was 50
wool 50 acrylic but it had two strings or strands and some kind of twist
which made it feel completely manageable even though it too is a bit fuzzy.
	Wouldn't it be nice if we could just trim a foot of yarn off a ball
and knit it on the spot to see if we like the feel of it? I also bought some
big metal needles which I can't stand. They are too big tough I bought them
because they are not long.
	After these two scarves are done, I want to do socks and a hat. I
wonder how long before that day comes.

	Deidre-----Original Message-----