[Nfb-krafters-korner] dropped stitches

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Wed Feb 27 13:08:37 UTC 2013

Diedra,
Yes, you are right - those dropped stitches will "run" and your garment will
have a hole in it which will become larger as it continues to unravel.  Ir
is very easy to fix those dropped stitches if you find them within a few
rows past where you dropped them. That is when they have to be fixed.
Otherwise, maybe you can catch it with some thread and tie in in securely
later on.

I have a shawl I have knitted and have found some dropped stitches - I get
into trouble when working a pattern that has YO's in it usually. This is a
big problem vor me. Anyway, I did not find them till the shawl was nearly
finished - so it is setting here in my office waiting for me to address the
problem. The shawl is a lovely cornflower blue. I am going to sew in some
little pearls and Swarovski crystals - where the dropped stitches are. This
way, I will catch the loop of the stitch, and secure the embelisment - then
I will put in more of the pearls and crystals all over the shawl - so it
will look beautiful and nobody would ever suspect there was a little boo boo
or a few little boo boos there to begin with. The shawl will actually be
more beautiful than if it was just plain.

I do like to knit with cotton - I use if for dish cloths, towels, socks, and
have done a beautiful pullover sweater with short sleeves out of a nice soft
cotton by Katia. (Florida by Katia). It is beautiful and I love to wear it.
If you use cotton for clothing, remember that those kinds of fibers are much
heavier than working with wools so the garment will be thicker and bulkier,
unless you are using the very very thin cotton yarns that are like thread.
Plant fibers are much heavier than animal fibers - keep that in mind when
planning something using a plant fiber.

Lynda
Lynda Lambert
River Road Studio, Since 1976