[Nfb-krafters-korner] question for crocheters

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 00:17:42 UTC 2013

Hi Cathy and Others,

I am a right-handed crocheter as well. I hold the hook in my right
hand but I hold it with my palm down and my thumb extended and resting
alongside the side of the hook facing me. I've read that some folks
hold their hooks like a pencil. I found by holding the hook with my
palm down I can easily use my thumb or even my index finger to feel
the loops on the hook.

I was taught to do some fancy pointing and extending with my left
index finger, but I can't feel anything that way so I use my left hand
to feed my yarn to my right hand/hook. I yarn over with my left hand.
I use my left fingers to feel loops on the hooks and to ensure the
hook is sliding working yarn through loops.

One thing I had troubles with in the beginning, and it is a work in
progress, is getting all loops pulled through a stich at once. One
thing I've learned that aids in ensuring this is to make sure the hook
is facing me at the beginning of a stich and after pulling loops
through a stitch. When I'm scooping up a loop it faces the ground and
I make a quarter turn back up and facing me again. (Don't know if that
makes sense at all.)

Anyways, good luck on improving your crocheting techniques.

LM