[Nfb-krafters-korner] needle knitting cast-on

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 00:57:47 UTC 2013

Hi Deidre and others who might be interested,

I posted a message on the steps I used to needle knit, and just realized
that I never posted a message with the steps I use to cast-on. so here they
are.

Annette explained to us that there are many different cast-on methods, but
the one she taught us was the closest to actual knitting. in my opinion it
is cast-on and knitting the first row simultaneously.

1.	with slipstitch on left needle, slip right needle into slipstitch
diagonally up and behind the left needle.
2.	using the working yarn, yarn over the right hand needle.
3.	twist the right -hand needle so that it is facing back toward you,
and then being certain to catch the yarn over as you go, back out through
the slipstitch. This will result in a loop on the right-hand needle and a
slanted loop still on the left needle.
4.	take right needle and move it above the point of the left needle so
that the point of that needle is just below the loop on the right needle.
5.	slip the loop from the right-hand needle back onto the left hand
needle. This will result in two stitches now on the left needle.

Repeat steps now using the top loop on your left needle instead of the
slipstitch.

Hth, Cathy