[Nfb-krafters-korner] Making items for dogs - WAS: O T Happy Anniversary to us

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 21 17:56:34 UTC 2013

Believe it or not despite my dedication to knitting and crocheting, these
were not knitted or crocheted.  They were machined sewn.  Here are the
general instructions for the bandanas that I used when I made them with the
local puppy raiser group as a fund raiser.

When we made the reversible bandanas we did them in 2 ways.  The easiest was
making them out of perfectly square bandanas.  If you find bandanas that are
not square, you will need to trim them so that they are square.  The other
option is to make a triangle template and cut triangles from fabric.  This
is what we had to do for the larger dogs.  We did try to use the smaller
bandanas with ties added to the points of the bandana so that it could be
tied around the larger dog's necks.  We tried many things including using
the scraps that were trimmed off of the non-square bandanas.  However, this
was quite time consuming, and we resorted to the fabric triangles for the
larger dogs.

Using bandanas
.	You will need 2 bandanas - Either one with a pattern and one solid
(our preferred), 2 with patterns, or 2 solid colors.
You will end up with enough materials to make 2 exact reversible bandanas.
If you start with 4 bandanas, you can mix and match and make 4 different
combinations of reversible bandanas.
.	If they are not square or are not the same size, you will need to
trim them so that they are square and the same size.
.	You will need to cut the bandanas in half across the diagonal.
.	Place 2 triangles together so that rights sides are facing each
other.  You might want to get someone to help you identify the rights sides
of the bandanas and place a safety pin on that side. You will need 2 safety
pins so that once you cut the bandana into 2 triangles, a safety pin is in
each triangle.
.	Use straight pins to pin the triangles together to prepare them for
sewing.
.	Sew along the 2 short edges of the 2 layer fabric.  Most bandanas
have some type of finished edge, so you can use this to help guide you in a
straight line as you sew.  If you had to trim either or both of your
bandanas, you might have one raw short edge.  You do not need much of a seam
allowance.  The smaller the better.
.	Now you have a triangle pocket with the opening to the pocket along
the long side of the triangle.
.	Turn the triangle pocket inside out so that the right sides are now
facing out.  You can remove the safety pins at this point and the straight
pins.
.	Smooth out the triangle so that everything is as smooth and flat as
you can make it.
.	Use an iron with moist heat to flatten your short edge seams and
force everything to lay flat.
.	Now you will prepare the long raw edge for sewing.  This is the
hardest part of this project.
.	Fold the raw edges of each layer of material to the inside of the
triangle.  You are going to want them tucked in far enough to hide all of
the raw edge inside and beyond where you will be sewing the final seam.  I
grab the points at either end of the long edge and tuck them inside the
pocket, and then pull my hands apart to tighten up the newly folded edge.  I
then lay it down on the table and smooth it out being careful to not unfold
the edge at any point.  I then use straight pins to hold the fold of one
layer in place.  I usually start with one pin in the middle and then place
one or two between the center pin and the corners.  I then flip the double
layered bandana over and line up the other folded raw edge and pin it in
place.  Sometimes the corners can be a bit difficult as it is a lot of
material.  You can do some trimming if you are careful.
.	Once I am satisfied with the folded raw edges, I pin them together,
and then remove the pins in the individual layers leaving the pins in place
that are holding the 2 layers together.
.	Now sew along the pinned long edge of the bandana.  You want this
seam as close to the edge as possible.
.	Give your finished bandana a final touch up with an iron to flatten
the long edge.

Fabric Reversible Bandanas
.	You will need to cut 2 90 degree triangles with the edges adjacent
to the 90 degree angle the same length.  This will make the edge across from
the 90 degree angle the longest edge.
.	You might want to pay attention to the direction of the pattern in
relation to the long edge and the 90 degree angle.  This is a visual thing.
.	As with the bandanas, you will need to know which is the right side
of the material.  Again, the safety pin technique mentioned above might be
helpful.
.	Match up the edges and angles of the triangles and place them
together with right sides facing each other.
.	Use straight pins to keep the 2 layers of material in place while
you sew.
.	Sew along the 2 short edges.
.	Once you have made the triangle pocket as with the bandanas, follow
the above directions.

Let me know if you have any questions.