[Nfb-krafters-korner] sewers question

Ramona Walhof ramona.walhof at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 17:18:47 UTC 2013

Jill, It wouldn't be difficult to make a dress for a small child from a
pillow case if you had a cute print.  You would just need to shape the
neckline and decide what kind of sleeves you want. Plain over-the-shoulder
sleeves would be the simplest.   to finish them.  For a very informal dress,
you could probably just turn the edges under a tiny bit and zigzag the
edges.  Then belt the dress  in at the waste.  You could use bias tape on
the neck and sleeves.  .  If the child were small enough, you might have
enough fabric at the end of the pillow case away from the hem to cut
facings, but my guess is that this isn't what is intended.  The dress would
not be fitted, but might be very comfortable for play. Since the bottom
would already be hemmed, and the side seams and the shoulder seams would
already be sewed, you should be able to finish it in an hour.

I measured one pillow case, and it is 28 inches.  This means the child would
have to be less than 48 inches.  But my experience with my grand-daughters
is that by the time they start to school, they only want to wear dresses for
church, anyway. But you could make this sort of thing for a top on a little
older child. If anybody tries, it, let us know how it looks.  I guess this
would be when you find a good pillow case sale.  They do have some cute
prints in pillow cases sometimes.  I haven't bought pillow cases for little
girls for a few years, but if they happened to come in pairs, you could make
one into a dress, but the child mike not want a dress to match her pillow
case.
Well, you see what speculation you brought on.  My brain is more active in
the morning.

Ramona