[Nfb-krafters-korner] cabled scarf and hat, choosing colors

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 01:58:41 UTC 2013

hi all,

when I took Sarah's yarn pallet class on Thursday night I asked her some questions about which types of variegated yarns, if any, would look best with cable knitted projects.
Sarah explained that variegated yarn can be used to nice effect, but only certain kinds work well.  variegated yarns to avoid are speckled and tweed yarns, because these busy patterns will interfere with seeing the cable stitches clearly, and clearly we would not want someone to miss seeing our wonderful stitches!  likewise self-striping yarn should be avoided because the cables run in one direction while the stripes  run in the other direction, left and right vs. up and down. hmm, so what kind of variegated yarn can be used to nice effect? when  a variegated yarn is used it should have a long color variation. so how long is "long"? well, that depends on your project. but in general, the longer the project the longer the color variegation should be. in general, the longer the better. another tip is that when you make a pair of something, , say cable mittens, , be certain that your variegation is not so long that one mitten will be one color and the second mitten be another color.

Sarah, do I have this all explained properly? if not, please correct me.
thanks, and now  I can sit back and knit my cabled scarf with variegated yarn, which I hope does not interfere with showing off my cables.
I probably would have gone with a single colored yarn if I'd known this to begin with. but, oh well, live and learn.
Cathy