[Nfb-krafters-korner] grumpy skeins of yarn

sunshine sunshine817 at cox.net
Sat Mar 30 21:52:15 UTC 2013

I spoke with a friend of mine and she explained why I was told to start at the end of the skein and not the middle! Each manufacturer wraps their yarn differently. With some of the yarns, if one pulls from the middle, things will go just fine, but some manufacturers have figure eights going through the yarn which will cause lots of tangles. She stated that if the center piece of yarn is buried within the yarn itself and hard to get to, that means one eng of the skein has a lengthy piece of yarn with needs to be used to wrap into a ball. Anyone spinnning yarn will know which isde is going with and which side is going against the grain! With the finished product, she said that with the eye it is very hard to detect from where someone began working with the yarn and one would need a microscope! The yarn I had been purchasing for my afghans has the figure eights going through the yarn and that's why I have been told to start at the end.

I had started in the middle not knowing about the figure eights and my yarn became badly tangled. With the yarn I'm using now, I couldn't find a center piece of yarn as it was imbedded into the skein! A friend who was here visiting looked at it and surely enough, she told me that the strand of yarn was visible at one end and I was to start there! She's a crocheter, but teaches her daughter to knit! So I was told that if I stt from the middle and fiind the figure eights to be his careful if I want to continue, but to expect to find problems throughout the yarn. Now, again, this is just the information given to me by those who are long-term knitters so don't shoot me for just sharing the explanations I'm offering. I'm never said people shouldn't take from the middle! I only spoke of myself as it's not my decision as to what others do! Smiles! Besides, I could get ya into mischief if you follow me! Just teasing, of course, but I do be to have fun! Grins!

Hugs