[Nfb-krafters-korner] I'm a Beginner (was to email or phone

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 03:33:07 UTC 2013

Hello Ericka,

Smile, there is no one in our living-rooms either. But the beauty of the
classes in Krafter's Korner is that there does not need to be anyone with
us. The way we learn all that we do here is through the use of our words. We
describe to one another how to do different things by very specific step by
step instructions.
You asked what accommodations you should ask for if you took a class to
learn to knit at your local shop. Well, I learned how to crochet in a class
of sighted folks in my community. The first thing that is important is to
assure the teacher that even if she has never helped a visually impaired
person before it is ok. This is important because many sighted folks are
intimidated by the prospect of teaching someone who cannot see. They need to
be given reassurance.  Tell the instructor that mostly what you will need is
to have verbal directions to help you understand how to do things. When I
was in the crochet class I also let the instructor watch me as I did what I
thought she was telling me to do, and asked her to tell me if or when I was
doing something incorrectly. These two things enabled me to learn to crochet
quite quickly.
The same can work with knitting.
One more thing I'd suggest is something that is easy to say but not so easy
to do and that is to try to have the mindset that "I can do this." It really
helps.

You may find that though you cannot draw or paint well, you can do other
crafts quite well. All of us have our favorites, things that we enjoy and
have learned and become comfortable and confident doing.
Oh yes, if you decide to take that knitting class and you can see some, be
certain to get yarn and needles that contrast well. That may be of help.

Cathy F