[Nfb-krafters-korner] FW: Knitting with Shingles

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Mon Oct 21 14:40:30 UTC 2013

Forgot to wish you a speady recovery!!!

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Paulette Vickery [mailto:paulette at evickery.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:58 AM
To: 'List for blind crafters and artists'
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting with Shingles

Hi all,

Alright, I will just plain say it and get it out in the open. I am whining.
I have shingles and they really, really really, really, hurt! I am beginning my second week of Shingles. Right now my 2 new best friends are Perkeset and Neuronton. Sorry about the spelling, I have no idea how to spell either name. I am no longer friends with Bennadrill, I can handle the itching wich is almost gone. But the pain! That is another whole story! I feel like my life is in 6 hour segments.  The 3 things that are allowing me to survive are, sleep, reading, and knitting. Drinking lots of fluids also helps. My husband has been wonderful, but I wish he would be a little more physically comforting. I mean a pat on my hand or anywhere else would be nice.
Yesterday I was knitting a row in the heart pattern of my baby hat I am knitting in the round. I needed to knit 2 stitches, purl 3 stitches and knit
3 stitches. Sounds simple, right? Well I just couldn't do it. I lost track, but I think I knit and tinked that row at least 4 times. But finally, last night, I got it right. I felt like I had climbed and conquered Mount Everest! That just goes to show what pain, meds and generally not feeling well will do to you. I guess I am doing better, because I have worked 3 more rows this morning. That means that I only have 1 more row of the heart pattern left. I think I will be able to finish the pattern today. I guess that is enough whining, sorry about the rant, but I just had to shout it out to someone. Has anyone else had Shingles and how did you cope with it? How long did the pain last? I hear that it can go on for a long time and that sounds scarey.

Paulette