[Nfb-krafters-korner] fixing knitted dropped stitches

Ramona Walhof ramona.walhof at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 01:41:52 UTC 2013

For garter stitch dropped stitch, try using a small chrochet hook.  weave it
back through the rows until you get to the dropped stitch. Then you need to
pull your dropped stitch through the yarn where it should have been,looping
it over the new loop you will make in each row as you go.   first on one
side, then the other.  Of course, this is easier if your knitting is not too
tight.  And you can feel it better with larger yarn and larger needles.  If
you want to practice, make a pot holder or dish cloth and deliberately drop
a stitch or two, not right beside each other.  You can pick up more than one
side by side, but better to start with just one.  If you are making socks or
something really fine, that's not the place to practice unless you have more
patience than I do. I do not like to rip out and pick up whole rows, so I
have made myself learn to pick up stitches in patterns, even when I am using
more than one color and dragging the yarn across the back of the pattern.
Try not to stretch the loops in the stitches you are picking up more than
necessary, but you have more flexability than it first appears.  You get the
best fixes, if you don't have to go too far, but acrylic yarn will often
pull into place very nicely if you wash your garment when it is all done.  I
don't have much experience with cotton. But you should be fine with wool.

Ramona

Ramona