[Nfb-krafters-korner] LOOM KNITTING: Karius and Baktus Scarf or Shawl

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 20:30:13 UTC 2013

Hello Catherine,
My name as well, <smile.>

Here is what looms and yarn are needed for a shawl.
1. Large gauge loom with at least 34 pegs, either long or round. Or 1/2
gauge loom with at least 48 pegs, either long or round.
2. Yarn, 300 yards of 5-ply for the 1/2 gauge loom, pattern does not
indicate yarn quantity for the large gauge loom, but I would use 6-ply yarn
and more
than 300 yards, perhaps another skein.

What I suggest is that you get out your looms and see what gauges of looms
you have.
A Large gauge loom is - 5/8 to 11/16 inch between pegs
Regular gauge is - 1/2 inch between pegs
(you measure from the center of one peg to the center of the next peg.)
Next, depending on the gauge loom you have, you either purchase 300 yards of
5-ply yarn for the regular gauge loom or 300 yards plus an extra skein of
6-ply yarn for the large gauge loom.

The shawl is for an adult woman and the exact size will depend on the loom
and gauge yarn you are using.

This is an intermediate project, however, I am willing to help you learn
what you need to do to catch up as we during the class. I am sure other
class members will join in to help as well. We were all, once in your shoes.
If you have further questions, please post to the list.

Cathy