[Nfb-krafters-korner] Beginners Knitting Class 10/12 & 10/19

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 30 15:17:49 UTC 2013

Hello All,

If you have been wanting to learn to knit or refresh your skills, plan to
join me on Saturday October 12 and 19 starting at 3pm.  Check the Krafters
Korner website for signing up.  The class is not currently posted, but I'm
sure it will be soon.

I will be teaching how to do one type of cast on, the knit stitch and one
type of bind off.  We will be focusing on the Continental style of knitting.
This is controlling your yarn with your left hand and "picking" your yarn
with the right needle.

Materials that you will need include

o   worsted weight or 4 ply yarn,

o   size 8 or 10 knitting needles of either the straight or circular type,
and

o   scissors or other yarn cutting device.

o   Optional items include

o   some type of stitch marker and

o   something to keep your new craft in when you are not working on it.

Notes:

.         the yarn.  You want to select a smooth yarn that does not have a
texture or halo to it.  Halo is fuzziness.

.         needles.  Straight needles verses circular needles.  It is all
personal preference.  If you select circular, I recommend that you use a 24
inch long needle.  Size is more important.  Size 8 or 10 needles are good
sizes to start with.  As you dive more into knitting, you will acquire
needles of all sizes.  Needles can be made out of plastic, metal and natural
substances like wood and bamboo.  Your preference will be determined on how
they feel in your hands, and how the yarn you are working with behaves on
the needle.

.         stitch markers.  Stitch markers are a very versatile tool.  They
come in many different configurations.  When starting out you can use rubber
bands of varying lengths and thicknesses.  You can use rubber "o" rings that
you buy at the hardware store.  If you look for them at the craft store you
will find ones that are a solid ring made of all sorts of materials.  Split
rings markers have a seam that allows you to attach the marker to your
needle in the middle of a row of stitches, or even into a single stitch.
Locking stitch markers sort of resemble plastic safety pins.

Hope to see you in a few weeks in this Beginner's Knitting class.

Annette