[Nfb-krafters-korner] Twitter Feed

slery slerythema at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 21:20:46 UTC 2014

Melinda,

Nice to finely meet you. Joyce has told me a lot about you. I'll put my
replies after each of the sections below.

Cindy S. (1st VP, Webmistress)

One thing there webmasters can do is to put a same page link to the main
content (skip to main content link). We need to know the navigation links
and all the information on the site but when we visit a site frequently, it
is helpful to go to meat of the page unless we are particularly looking for
a link. The other thing is to make sure that items on a page have a
meaningful "title" the webmaster will know what code this refers to.

> Also, how would you like to see patterns written out on websites?  Most
> pattern designers use abbreviations and I am not sure how your screen
> reader interprets these abbreviations.  I am just learning all about
screen
> readers, so I could use your help in this area.  Would you rather see
> patterns that have pattern directions written out in full words rather
than
> abbreviations?  I have a crochet website that I will be working on this
next
> week to write out the full words.  I have found that even beginners to
> crochet that have their sight are having trouble figuring out what all
those
> abbreviations mean, so I want my website to be more user friendly.

The typical pattern abbreviations are fine. If you are talking to designers
directly, a legend at the beginning or end of the pattern is always helpful
whether you are sighted or blind. The big problem we have with patterns are
charts and when they only use pictures or refer to the picture to explain
what they don't put into words. The second thing is to make sure if they are
using a pdf file that it has actual words and is not just a picture of the
pattern.

> Please feel free to give me your thoughtful suggestions in how we can make
> Krafters Korner the best crafting info site for the blind!
>
> Joyce, please let me know if it is OK to list my website here on the list
for
> your members to be able to visit.  I would like to have suggestions to
help
> make my site more user friendly.  I am also considering adding a page to
my
> website that would post links for blind crafters that are more user
friendly
> for you.

Feel free to share your website.