[Nfb-krafters-korner] needle knit mittens questions

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 20:32:01 UTC 2014

Hello needle knitters,

I am excited to report that I have completed a perfect sized mitten on my two circular needles.
However, this is the first mitten I have ever made in this manner. though the body is complete, I
am confused about how to add the thumb. I have ideas, but want to get it right.

I have the mitten turned inside out and understand that I must slip my previously cast-off stitches
on each side of the thumbhole back on to the needles, and then add another stitch to each side,
using both circular needles. However, what is the best way to slip back on these stitches? One side
in particular is bound off pretty tight? I am having some difficulty identifying individual
stitches where they are bound  off. I have tried to slip on some stitches and the bind-off seems to
be getting in the way of future knitting? Also, I must obviously begin with a new strand of yarn,
so should I use the slipknot as the first additional stich on one side and add a stitch to the
other needle, or is it better to add the bound off stitches first and then add the additional
stitch on each side?

Thanks for any help.

Cathy F