[Nfb-krafters-korner] needle knit mittens questions

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sat Apr 5 23:49:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am staying at my son's house for the weekend and will be back home on
Monday.

First before you get too far ahead Cathy, do not turn the mitten inside out
 to pick up these thumb stitches.  Right side facing you start with 1
needle  and depending on how tight or loose you have bound off or cast on  in
the area of the thumb going across the bottom edge of the thumb and edge
thatt is up against the part of the mitten that goes upward to your fingers, I
actually pick up the stitches that are in the direction of top to bottom or
in  other words the last row before bind off and the first row of knitting
after the  cast on.  *** note here if you have bound off too tightly or too
loosely  you need to do a little adjusting at this time, but do it evenly.  I
do  knot use a slip knot when adding this yarn.  I do leave a tail maybe at
 least 6 or more inches, heck leave it 12 inches.  There is a  reason.  So
I pull up my first stitch loop and go half way to the other  side.  I evenly
pick up stitches and in the corner of front and back I make  sure I pick 1
up as close to the middle on both sides of the korner.  Now  if you picked
up 6 stitches one way you need to pick up the same number going  the other
way.  For adult size I use like 8 on both sides total 16 give or  take 2.
Just plain knitt
When you come around and start knitting the first round I take that long
end along with the working yarn end hold them together and do the first 2 or
3  stitches by knitting with those 2 strands.  That keeps it snug and then
let  go of your long end to be used around several rows and stitck your thumb
into it  and see if it fits   You will continue knitting the thumb with
only  the working yarn.

OK.  If it is too tight first try stretching it with your thumb.[this  is
the thumb hole].  If it is too loose then you need to take it out  and do
less number of stitches going around.

Don't worry at all if you need to rip this out.  All your stitches on  the
mitten are intact and attached.  The only thing you are pulling out is  the
thumb stitches.

Do not worry if as you knit upward if you feel any small holes or  gaps.
We will take care of that with the long end.  There might be  some uneveness
in the area that you picked up the stitches.

Work like 2 or 3 rows beyond the top of your thumb,  Do not bind  off.
Take a needle with the yarn and go thru the top of your thumb around  it twice
working it thru the loops.  Put needle into the hole at the top of  the
thumb.  I dangle it down, turn it inside out and pull easy, but  tight.  I take
a couple of X stitches on the inside of the thum pulling it  throu the yarn
and tie a knot sesecurely at the top of the thumb.  This  adds a little more
warmth up there, too.  So you don't want to make it too  much longer then
the thumb.

In a message dated 4/5/2014 4:32:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,