[Nfb-krafters-korner] needle knit mittens questions

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 6 09:59:50 UTC 2014

I am no expert in knitting mittens.  I've knitted a few pair here and there
and here is what I remember.

I use the 2-circular knitting needle method of knitting in the round for
both the hand and thumb parts of the mitten.  When picking up stitches
around the thumb I pick up as many as I can and hopefully can place them
evenly distributed on the 2 needles.  I then examine the thumb hole area to
determine where is the best place to pick up the additional stitches to
prevent the creation of a hole in the fabric.

Now what I am going to share with you is not going to help with this pair of
mittens, but maybe you will want to try it in the future.  I like to use
some unconventional ways to deal with picking up the thumb stitches.  When
knitting the hand of the mitten and I get to the stitch I am supposed to
bind-off for the mitten hole, I do not bind it off.  Instead I do a KFB
(Knit in Front and in Back).  This creates an extra stitch I slip on to a
stitch holder or leave on my needle and place a marker between that new
stitch and my live stitches.  You have to remember to move the marker every
time you come to the end of the row and do the KFB.  When it comes time to
knit the thumb stitches that are on the holder or waiting on my needles,
again I examine the thumb hole to determine if I need to pick up additional
stitches and where is the best place to do it.

HTH,
Annette