[Nfb-krafters-korner] Question about worsted weight yarn

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 05:38:10 UTC 2014

Minh,

We had a terrific teacher last year who taught a number of yarn classes for us. one of the things
that she mentioned was that worsted weight yarn is not always a set thickness. There is no exact
width like there is say for beading thread or macramé cord.  However,
I usually check to see what sized needle or crochet hook are recommended for the yarn, because this
gives an indication of how thick the yarn is.
It is a pain in the neck that worsted weight yarn is not standardized in the US. in Britain, there
are more options for yarn weights and these are the various weights that are all our different
worsted weights.

My advice, touch before purchasing if you can, or read reviews of the yarn online, or ask here
about any yarn you are thinking of purchasing. I usually try yarns that friends have recommended
that they like.

Cathy F