[Nfb-krafters-korner] ice cream stick coaster

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Sun Aug 10 12:18:55 UTC 2014

Hi Cathy and all,
Similar to the box you have described, we also recently did some coasters
using ice cream sticks. Basically, we placed 6 or 7 sticks alongside each
other and then glued some more sticks on top of these, but facing in the
opposite direction, so the two layers stuck together and formed a square.
Instead of paint, we simply used markers to color in the sticks in different
colors beforehand. We also made some small, flat clay animal figures and put
one on each coaster on one of the corners. I thought afterwards that one
could also use a third and 4th layer of sticks or some clay to form a frame
around the coaster.
The coasters didn't last very long, but then again, I only thought later
that we could have covered them with contact paper or maybe some clear
varnish to make them last longer. I am planning on making them again, or
maybe we will do the boxes next time.
Thanks in any case for reminding me again about the boxes.
Lindy