[Nfb-krafters-korner] Ramona: Christmas Quilting by Hand

Catherine Miller guillcat at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 00:13:36 UTC 2014

I have been having so much fun!  Ramona, your chat was so inspiring!  I went back to my local quilting store and got them to cut a yard each of green and red Christmas-print, cotton fabric into 6.5-inch squares.  My husband says the print is very pretty, little white flowers.  I have three of the squares sewn together already.  For now I'm simply putting a green and a red square together, wrong sides together, and hand stitching down one side.

I never have been able to cut a straight line, even when I could see and even with the sharpest fabric shears.  I let that keep me from starting a quilt before I was too blind to sew them together.  Now I don't consider it cheating any longer to let the store cut the squares for me. Every square is perfect!

I was worried about sewing a straight line, but I'm using my thumb to gauge the distance from the edge of the fabric.  I'm also trying to get the seam about half an inch from the edge.  I don't know if my seams are quite straight, but I'm sewing the seam twice for added strength.  When I finish the seam and spread out the seam allowance on the back, it seems to be pretty straight.  I think after everything is pressed it will be fine.

This is going to be so pretty!  It will be my Christmas season lap quilt.

My exercise partner told me she wishes she had enough patience to sew a quilt.  But she reads with her eyes so she can't enjoy a nice talking book while her hands stitch away the hours.

Bye for now.  Gotta go work on my Christmas lap quilt.

Thank you, Ramona.

Cathy Miller

Sent from my iPad