[Nfb-krafters-korner] Sewing for an Enthusiastic Beginner

Ramona Walhof walhoframona at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 21:34:09 UTC 2014

J, what do you wwant to make?  Perhaps the most common things to sew by hand
are hemming pants or skirts and sewing on buttons.  If you have that
mastered, then applique, pronounced applicay,  would be nice.  That is when
you sew a certain shape on to another item.  You can buy all kinds of things
to sew on at a fabric store.  The overcast stitch is the hemming stitch.
You can also use it for applique.  You can put a teddy bear or an animal on
a child's t-shirt, for example.  I once sewed Cinderella on the front of a
dress I knit for my granddaughter.  I sewed three-demensional roses on a
dress I knitted for another granddaughter.   You could also hem end table
covers, etc.  These would be square or rectangular.  Piecing shapes together
for a pillow cover or quilt is pretty exacting, but people still do it, and
it can be beautiful. Joyce can tell you more about where to get patterns for
quilts.
There are thousands of patterns in fabric stores, and some of them are very
advanced.  I definitely recommend you start with basic things to sew.  And I
recommend you master the running stitch and the overcast stitch.  For a
stronger seam, sew the running stitch twice exactly on top of the first
stitching.
   You can measure with a tape measurer If you have questions about cutting,
I can help.   Email me offlist if you have specific questions.  My email of
walhoframona at gmail.com.  I will be here for a week; then I am off on a
cruise.  Or you can phone me at 208-338-1595. I should have some free time
next weekend, more than this week.
Ramona