[Nfb-krafters-korner] The dropped stitch query

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 3 00:22:39 UTC 2014

Hi Valerie,

Dropped stitches are just a part of knitting.  Yes, as you become more
experienced it will occur less, but it will happen.  It could be caused by
something you have done, or some unexplained force.

Yes, you can learn how to pick up dropped stitches, but a number of factors
go into accomplishing this.  Understanding how stitches build upon each
other to create your fabric is the first thing.  You might want to get some
bulky yarn and large needles and knit up a few swatches using different
stitch combinations.  .  As you are knitting, frequently look at how your
yarn travels from stitch to stitch and row to row.  Gaining an understanding
of how the completed stitch looks on the needle and once it has been moved
off of the needle will help you begin to understand what you will do to pick
up a stitch and work it back up to your needle.

Other factors that can impact the success of picking up stitches is the
yarn.  Smoother yarn is easier to work with.  Yarn that has loose fibers is
much harder to work with.  If you have been working with a larger needle it
will be easier to pick up stitches than if you have been working with a
smaller needle.  If you are knitting a complex or lace pattern, it might be
very difficult to work a dropped stitch back up to your needle.

So, I like others on the list, are a big promoter of using a life-line.

HTH,
Annette