[Nfb-krafters-korner] FW: Bead Looms ...

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Mon Feb 10 19:32:31 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Roe [mailto:dogwoodfarm at verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:27 PM
To: List for blind crafters and artists
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Bead Looms ...

Well, the rawhide my husband used in the past was gotten from Tandy Leather.
Now, I know they use to have catalogs and at one time were actually on-line, but I don't know what's available now.  Like I said, the project I've been dreaming of is one of these days.

It would not be done on a traditional beed loom.  I would see if my sister, who wood carves, could carve me two different 3 foot short stafs from trees on the farm, with Native American or nature depictions on the top and bottom
6 inches of each piece.  They would represent the top and bottom of a loom frame.  The rawhide cord, like a shoe string, would run from pole to pole virtically.  The air dried beeds, approximately the width of a dime and maybe 1/4 inch wide, would be painted whatever colors I'd need and then woven just the same as on the beed loom.  It would not require increases or decreases, the pattern would remain within the number of virtical rows.

The books I have are specific to Native American patterns and they go line by line as you weave from top to bottom.  When I get my hands on the books again, I will post the names and authors.  I'm not sure if they could be scanned because there are a lot of pictures.  My husband and sister read 90% of my patterns and I either braille them or type them into my computer.  I have put them on tape as well.

this project will take a lot of prep work because of making the beeds from the air dry clay and getting my sister to carve the posts.  She charges $50 for her carved canes and walking stafs.  Well worth the money.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net