[Nfb-krafters-korner] braille card fundraiser meeting

Ramona Walhof ramona.walhof at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 00:04:17 UTC 2014

I had a driver this afternoon and did some research.  Staples has white
envelopes for both the quarter size paper and the half sheet.  They are
light-weight envelopes, but will look nice.  The quarter sheet size open
from the end, while the half sheet size open from the side.

Staples had a limited number of colors in the card stock and the cover
stock.  They had more in the resume weights, but still not many colors. They
did have some parchment and damask style paper that would look nice, and I
think it would be heavy enough.  In packages, all this paper would be less
than 25 cents per 8.5 by 11 inch sheet.  .

So I went to Michaels.  Prices are a little higher, the choices are many
more.  The 8.5 by 11 inch card stock is not labeled as well, but there are
many colors in both single sheets and packages of 25 and 50 sheets.  Fifty
sheet packages were mostly 3.99. Most packages included several colors.
There were also some single sheets in this size which were textured for .69
cents.  The fanciest paper was 12 by 12 inches, perhaps too heavy for most
cards, but many textures and a variety of edges from lace to torn edges.
These would have to be cut to size.  Some would have too much texture for
Braille, but not all.  These 12 by 12 sheets were mostly 2 dollars each.  I
did not see envelopes at Michaels, but did not look very much since I knew
the office supply places had what we want.  .

I bought a package of 100 sheets with different colors on opposite sides of
the paper.  We might use it for the Division or I will find a use for it.

This should give us a pretty good idea of what we need to spend.  At least
for this year, I am thinking we should limit the number of people who do the
Brailling for convenience.  Then another group can do the crafting.  Do you
think fifty dollars is enough to ask the Board to spend?

Ramona