[Nfb-krafters-korner] ot: is this you neva?

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 20:57:09 UTC 2014

saw this thread about 3D printing helping blind parents know what
their unborn children feel like. And, someone named Neva Fairchild was
quoted. well, I only know one and I suspect she's on this list. *grin*
Article is below.

Subject: 3D printing gives blind parents a chance to feel baby before
he/she is born, Dan's tip for February 26 2014

3D printing gives blind parents a chance to feel baby before he's born

Note from Dan: I believe you must visit the periodical that published
this article to view the photos mentioned.  The link to "the Blaze" is
below.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/22/3d-printing-gives-blind-parents-a-chance-to-feel-baby-before-its-born/

11 weeks_feto 3d

(Baby at 11 weeks. Photo: Tecnologia Humana 3D)

Wow! Technology is making it easier for blind parents to get to know
their unborn child through 3D

printing. A new Brazilian company has made it possible to print
plastic models of what your child looks

like based on sonogram imaging.

This 3D imaging below shows a baby at 12 weeks. (Photo: Tecnologia Humana

3D)

12 weeks_feto 3d

The Blaze found here:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/22/3d-printing-gives-blind-parents-a-chance-to-feel-baby-before-its-born/

reports:

block quote

The company's "Feto 3D" project initiated by founder Jorge Roberto
Lopes dos Santos was initially

created for diagnostic purposes. dos Santos found it had other
applications as well though, like helping

blind patients feel the growing baby they could not see on a screen.

"We work mainly to help physicians when there is some eventual
possibility of malformation," dos

Santos said. "We also work for parents who want to have the models of
their fetuses in 3D."

Neva Fairchild with the American Foundation for the Blind told Tech
Page One she saw a benefit to such

an application of technology for those in the visually impaired community.

"Fifteen months ago, my first grandchild was born and they had
numerous sonograms and I missed out

on all of that," Fairchild, who is legally blind, said.

block quote end

As dos Santos mentions, the technology can also be used to diagnose
and treat disabilities in the womb,

or to understand the conditions of more complicated pregnancies
better, such as in the case of

conjoined twins (seen below at 35 weeks).

conjoined twins 35 weeks_feto 3d