[Nfb-krafters-korner] Candles

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Jan 5 01:33:45 UTC 2014

I did not make soap from scratch.  I used the melt and pour  soap.

Now as far as candles go I used jars and pottery, sugar bowls, pitchers,
coffee cups, wine glasses and ceramic stuff. That was my uniqueness.  I
poured candle wax into a lot of different unusual type of things.  I even
poured into sugar bowls and salt and pepper shakers.  My sales approach was  once
you burned your candle you could wash out the pottery and use it.   Glear
glass jars left me with trying to figure out how to color the wax.   You have
that one correct.  If I did it pink, then they wanted it  yellow.  So with
the pottery all the wax I kept white.

I used a one pour wax which heats up to 130 F degrees which is nothing like
 the jell wax that is something like 220 F degrees.  Now I used cotter pins
 to hold my wicks in place.  Well I would take a bit of wax which is like
butter and put it on the metal disc on the end of the wich and feel with my
hands and fingers the center of the bottom of the jar or container and
stick it  in place.  my hubby would  take the wick and cotter pin[one of my
candle suppliers told me about this one and sold the long cotter pins]  and
would put the cotter pin and tape the cotter pin with masking tape across the
top of the opening.  The pouring pots have a  pouring spout and    handle
and I would use a frying pan with water in it like a double boiler.   I would
stir it with a wooden spoon until you felt that the wax was  melted.  When
I poured the wax into the container I would hold my finger  down into the
container and pour slowly.  The one pour wax is not that hot  to pour and as
soon as I felt the wax hit my finger, I would pull it out and  instantly the
wax hardened and cooled on my finger.  I did not get burned  and you did not
pour again.

The hotter waxes cool unevenly and when it set it would leave a depression
in the center of the candle so you had to repour to even it out.  With the
one pour wax, you did not have to heat it up as high and it set up
perfectly  level .  I would Leave the containers until the next day to be sure
everthing was set and I would move them as the wicks where masking taped in
place and help in place with the cotter pins.

I had to purchase a talking food scale to weigh my wax and know how much
fragrance oil to pour into the melted wax.  I did not make pounds.  I  did
one container at a time.  The more I did the more I had a better idea  of how
much wax was needed for each container and I would weigh it out and  measure
the gragrance oil so all my candles had the same proportion of wax to
scent in it.

I had gotten a cheaper food scale, but it did not last long and I wanted a
more precise tool so I think I paid something like $150 for my scale.  I
could weigh in grams and my teenage kids would kid me that Mom was the drug
dealer.

In a message dated 1/4/2014 6:16:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,