[Nfb-krafters-korner] Looking for a Slipper Pattern

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Jan 12 22:54:28 UTC 2014

This pattern came from Laura Eves.

In a message dated 1/12/2014 12:50:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
amcarr1 at verizon.net writes:

Dani,

I looked back in my pattern document list and found  the pattern I was
looking for, but it was not submitted to the list by a  Susan or Sue, but
rather by Le.  I am pasting it below.  If it is  not what you are looking
for, let us know what features you want in a  slipper and I'm sure someone
can help you out.

Tripple strand  Slipper Pattern by Le
NFB -Krafters Korner

I just wanted to pass  along a very simple but cumfy pattern for knitted
bedroom slippers.   It is simple enough to put in an email message.  It has
been a  favorite in my family -- over the years I have made them as
Christmas
gifts, especially for Mom who wears them out in just a couple of  months
(not
because they are fragile, but because she walks all over in  them).
In fact, they are very thick and warm.

You can adjust the  pattern for any size foot, and the seams can be sewn or
crocheted as  desired, and of course the trimmings can be laces, pompoms or
bows -- or  nothing...  Be creative.

Supplies:
3 skeins of yarn, preferably  in 3 different colors -- I generally like a
modal look with 3 related  colors, such as dark coral, orange and peach, or
3
different shades of  blue, but do as you like.
The needles should be fairly large gauge. The  smaller the needles the
tighter the knit, and the smaller the slipper will  be.

General overview:
These slippers are knitted with 3 strands of  yarn, one from each skein.
Just treat the 3 strands as if they were one  strand of very course and
plump
yarn.  The result is a marbly,  blotchy, speckly look that is very pretty.

Instructions:
1.   Cast on 22 stitches (remember, 3 strands of yarn per stitch).
2.  knit  approximately 24 rows -- all knit, no pearl.  You should stop when
the  width of the swatch is about the width of your ankle from back to
front.
(Note that this swatch will become the back and heel of the  slipper.)
3.  At this point you should start knitting one row and  pearling the next,
so you have a flat texture.  Keep knitting until  the width from the heel of
the slipper to the needle is the same as the  distance from the heel to the
base of the big toe.  Here you need to  start decreasing.
4.  Decreasing:
On the next pearl row, repeat the  following until you get to the end of the
row: pearl 2 stitches together,  pearl one, pearl one.  At the end, if you
counted right, you should  end up pearling 2 stitches together and there
should be 16 stitches on the  needle.
Knit the next row with no decreasing.  On the next pearl row,  pearl 2
stitches together all across the row.  You should end up with  8 stitches.
Knit a row and cast off any way you like.
5: By now you  should notice how the heel of the slipper is coarse and the
flat stitch  forms the front end of the slipper.  Sew the seams any way  you
prefer.  Some guidelines:
The cast-on row forms the back of the  slipper. Fold it in half and sew or
crochet together so the seam blends in  with the knitting, if you can.  The
first time I made the slippers I  had to do some figuring to get this seam
right.
When you sew the toe and  top seams be sure the seam is on the inside -- the
outside is the flat part  of the knitting.

As I said, these slippers are thick and  comfortable.  This is my
contribution to the list for anyone who likes  to knit.
Happy  crafting!
--le