[Nfb-krafters-korner] Ruffled All Around February Loom Class

Renee Van Hoy rvanhoy at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 18:46:33 UTC 2014

I’ve
had a few questions off list about yarn for the Ruffled All Around placemat
class in February, and I thought I would post the information for everyone. The
class does not start until February 23rd, so we have lots of time to
get ready. If you have more questions for me, please post them to the list with
“Renee” in the post title so I’ll be sure to see them.

This
is an intermediate loom knitting class, taught by email. If you want to try
just a washcloth size, I will have that option for you as well. Please see the
class supply list for more information on looms and yarn.

The
looms listed for the class were chosen because they have a 5/8 inch gauge, not
the larger ¾ inch gauge. You may also use a ½ inch gauge loom, such as a
CinDwood loom, or the newer KB looms in 7/16 gauge.

For
this project, the yarn being used is a worsted weight cotton, held as a single
strand.

number of brands of yarn are available for this project. I’ve compiled a list
to help you find the right one for you.

Knit
Picks (an on-line yarn company) has several cotton yarns.

Dishie,
a basic worsted weight

Simply
organic, worsted weight

Comfy
– a cotton and acrylic blend – this is a softer yarn, good if you find cotton
to be hard on your hands, but less durable than other cottons.

Billow
– this is a bulky weight cotton. If you only have large gauge ¾ inch looms, you
may use this cotton yarn

Lion
Brand Yarn: available on line and in stores

Kitchen
cotton – worsted weight

Lion
cotton – worsted weight

Nature’s
Organic Cotton – this is listed as an aran weight, but has a twist to it and is
more like a bulky. If you only have a large gauge loom, you may use this cotton
yarn.

Yarnspirations.com
(Bernat and Lily yarns)

Lily
Sugar n’ Cream – worsted weight – this is the basic cotton widely available.
Watch out for your yardage, as different colors come in different weights,
although the same price. This is on sale this week at Michaels 4 for $5.00.

Bernat
Handicrafter – worsted, although it may be a little lighter weight than Lily.

Peaches
and Crème – another widely available cotton, worsted weight. Also comes in
different yardages.

hope this answers many questions, and I look forward to the class next month.

   Renee