[Nfb-krafters-korner] Materials for kumihimo class

minh ha minh.ha927 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 22:34:26 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

Hope you all enjoyed a happy July 4th. Unfortunately for us here in
the East coast, the hurricane kind of dampened all the planned outside
activities, although some people did attempt some half-hearted
fireworks. We're experiencing some pretty heavy winds right now as
well so I'm just staying inside catching up on some crafty things.

If you haven't done so already, go over to the krafters korner website
and sign up for my kumihimo class. The deadline is July 8th and the
class will begin on the 15th. The supplies list posted on the website
is the basics that you will need for the class, but I'm pasting an
updated list with more information for those that need some help
deciding which materials to purchase.

Supplies needed:
1.	Round Kumihimo disc
I purchased a kumihimo starter kit from primitiveorginals.com and it
came with a kumihimo disc that looks like an octagon instead of the
traditional round shape. However, both the octagon and the round discs
both have 32 slots which are what you need to create these braids. You
can find kumihimo discs basically anywhere online.
2.	Cording of some kind, preferably 2 mm or smaller.
The class proposal states 4 mm or smaller cord, but I think 1 mm to 2
mm cording works best when you are starting to learn kumihimo. I
normally use 2mm rattail or 1mm bucktail. Waxed cotton is another
cording that I like to use for my projects. Leather, hemp and even
yarn could work as well.

3.	Bobbins to hold cords while braiding.
If you purchase a starter kit, it usually comes with 8 plastic bobbins
for you to wrap your cords around to make braiding easier. You can
also buy them separately; the kind that I like to use is called easy
bobbins. All you have to do is snap open the top, wrap your cord
around and and snap it closed.

4.	Kumihimo weight (optional).
Adding a weight to the end of your braid will help keep an even
tension on your cords as you braid. You can learn without one, but I
absolutely love mine and my braids are so much better with the extra
weight. You can find them on amazon or any jewelry website with
kumihimo findings.

5.	Beads that can fit on to your cord of choice (optional).
Seed beads are most often used for kumihimo braids. I use 6/0 seed
beads because they are the biggest size of seed beads and easiest to
work with. The 6/0 beads have 1mm holes so1mm size cord will work with
them.

6.	 End caps (optional)
If you want to turn your braided ropes into bracelets/necklaces, you
will need end caps, which are little jewelry findings that have a hole
to fit all your cords. The end caps that I have double as a clasp.
They're called twist magnetic end caps so you don't have to deal with
adding jump rings and clasps. Here's a link for what I have:
http://primitiveoriginals.com/fcomaclcap.html

7.	Jewelry glue (optional)
You need a strong glue to use with the end caps. I use E6000 glue.

This is a lot of information, but I hope it helps you find the right
materials. If you have any questions, let me know.

Minh

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on
their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." T. E. Lawrence