[Nfb-krafters-korner] NFB New Logo

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 20:56:22 UTC 2014

Joyce,
Here is a document that I received on the new logo. If you  want to post it
you may do so.
Shelbi
National Federation of the Blind
Logo Description
The new logo of the National Federation of the Blind is an  updated,
stronger reflection of our organizational characteristics and values.  The logo of
the National Federation of the Blind consists of three elements: a  symbol
and two text elements—our name and tagline.
The basic element of our logo is a contemporary, sleek,  forward-facing
icon that is intended to convey creativity, movement, freedom,  and warmth. We
refer to this icon as Opportunity, as it represents the  opportunity we seek
for blind people, the opportunity to find blind people who  have not yet
benefited from the organization, and the opportunity to determine  our own
future and establish new levels of participation in our society. The
forward-facing Opportunity icon demonstrates respect and is more inviting than  an
icon facing to the side.
Our logo incorporates a symbol that we refer to as Our  Movement. The Our
Movement symbol is composed of six Opportunity icons arrayed  in a circle,
and conveys a feeling of movement, symbolizes individual actions  collectively
focused (as the eye is drawn to the center of the circle), and  represents
key values of the organization’s brand—collective action, full
participation, love, respect, democracy, and courage. Our logo emphasizes the
plurality of Our Movement, instead of an individual icon, because we are not  alone;
we are a group, a team, and a family, working together. The Our Movement
symbol also conveys the personality of the organization—inspirational,
innovative, powerful, and inviting. The colors of the Opportunity icons in the
Our Movement symbol (blue, orange, green) represent optimism, love, unity,
hope,  confidence, growth, and energy—all of which are important to our brand.
The  gradation of colors also reminds us that we are a diverse organization
and each  of us has something to contribute.
The font of the text elements of our logo is more modern  and innovative
than the heavy serif of our previous logo. It is also much more  readable for
our low-vision members. The logo places more emphasis on the words  “of the
blind” in order to call attention to that important and powerful aspect  of
our organization. The tagline font is italic to imply the energy and action
we want people to take in order to “Live the life you want.” The text in
the  logo represents power and action.