[Nfb-krafters-korner] report

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Jun 8 23:40:40 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to have better news the end of the week, but say some preyers
for me.  I was suppose to go to the bone doc on Thursday that just p past
and guess what I didn't get to go as the insurance would not pay for my
transportation and they didn't find that out until the day i was suppose to
go.

I have an appointment on Monday 2 PM and my dear friend is driving  me.
The PT folks here at the rehab center will be teaching me how to get  in and
out of a car[my friend's car] using one foot.  The PT folks say I am  doing
really well and it is totally up to the doc, but they are thinking I will  be
put into a walking cast with hopefully directions about putting weight on
the  broken ankle.

I worked out today hopping on one foot,  getting in and out of the
wheelchair and a bed.  My challenge came when they took me over to the  stairs.
They told me what I needed to do and under my breath I said, yeh  right.  I
was suppose to stand on one foot and hold on to the railings  which are going
upward and like taller then my head and jump up and land on that
stair[without putting any weight on my left foot.  So I stood there with my  left foot
bendt up like I was marching and wellllll

When I jumped I put the left foot on the step and used both feet to  stand.
 I told them I needed a big spring on that right foot or how about  one of
those little bouncing trampolenes.  I tried it another time and then  once
more.  I gave up and said forget that 4th step.  By this time I  had 2 PT
people kinda helping me.  They told me it was easier going down  and all I
could do is think, I got down 5 steps really fast and easy when I fell  at home.
 When I got to the floor and didn't land on my a---.  I told  both the PT
people that was very interesting and how I plan on getting into my  house at
home will be sitting on my butt and go up backwards.  I might need  help to
stand up once I am on my knees, but no more steps as they have  almost all
my stuff moved down to the first floor.

It took 5 guys to move the refrigerator from the third floor to the  first.
 They started going down the back of the house, but got stuck and  could
not make the turn.  So they had to bring it back up to the third  floor and
thru the house to the front stairs.  At this point they did not  get stuck,
but could not make the turn so they walked it thru the second floor  and then
down the back stairs and into the first floor.  It took them 4  hours and
basically they tossed out all my food that was frozen due to it  thawing out.
They had to take the doors off the refrigerator.  I am  glad I wasn't
there, as I tend to run back and forth giving my commments and get  worried about
what a job it is.

Now My friend and my son will go over to the house on Tuesday and bag up
the few things that are left and hopefully get my clothes down out of the
closets.  I have a feeling I may never find some of my things and hopefully
they get my adaptive equipment down and in one place.

I told them any of my crafting stuff to put in the spare bedroom.  I  did
have crafting stuff in that room a little organized, but from what they have
told me they basically opened the door and tossed crafty things into the
room.  I don't know if they are kidding or not, but they told me it was
getting hard to open and close the door in there by the time they  finished.  I
had 3/4 bleaned out a closet that is a walk in closet that I  had planned on
storing some of my crafting stuff and I had bought large plastic  bins, but
that was before I fell.  I don't have a clue what might be in the  bins or
if they even used them.  Oh well I will have the rest of my life  looking
and sorting through this stuff.  They wanted to throw it out and  told me to
go out and buy what I need, but  I will not have the money we  had before and
will have to watch my money.

Joyce