[Nfb-krafters-korner] swatch gauge help

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 22 17:58:52 UTC 2014

There are many ways to accomplish this, and they each have their advantages
and disadvantages.  The technique I use is not the most accurate, but it
works for me.

Lay your swatch flat.
Measure from side to side.
Divide that measurement by the total number of stitches used to make the
swatch.

So if I have 24 stitches and my knitted piece is 4 inches wide my
calculation would be:

Number of stitches divided by the number of inches equals the number of
stitches per inch
24 stitches divided by 4 inches equals 6 stitches per inch.

To figure out the number of rows per inch, measure your piece from the
cast-on edge to just below the stitches on your needle.  Count up how many
rows you've knitted and use the following calculation:

Number of rows divided by the number of inches equals number of rows per
inch
20 rows divided by 4 inches equals 5 rows per inch

HTH,
Annette