[Nfb-krafters-korner] Flower Arranging As a Blind Person

Denise Shaible denise.shaible at att.net
Sun Nov 16 22:36:53 UTC 2014

Hello,

If there are new members on the list who don't know me, I'm Denise from
Sacramento. California.  I want to let you know that blind people can do any
crafts they want to do with the right teacher.  I've done flower arranging
myself but, not for a long time now.  I only did silk flowers but, then
again, they don't die.  I made one for my home and one for my mom of pink
flowers and green trim in a basket with a lighter green ribbon on it.  They
both turned out very nicely.  I was at a blindness training center at the
time in Daytona Beach, Florida and we did lots of crafts.  My instructor
used the clock method to position the flowers and told me the colors.  I'm
sure if you got the flowers, the store personnel could tell you the colors
and you could mark them somehow or put them in baggies so you wouldn't get
mixed up.  If anyone else on the list has done flower arranging, chime in
and let others know about it and if you use the clock method or some other
method to arrange the flowers.  Maybe someday, the person who teaches
macramé and the person who can teach flower arranging can get together and
teach how to make a covered basket and a flower arrangement.  That would be
cool.

Regards,

Denise