[Nfb-krafters-korner] Flower Arranging As a Blind Person

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 21:08:35 UTC 2014

Hi Denise and all,

Well I am the person who teaches the macramé and I am also the person who
has won ribbons for flower arranging in flower shows.

I have not made any macramé baskets, but there is probably a pattern out
there.
Purchasing a readymade basket is probably just as good, there are so many
nice baskets out there. .
As for flower arranging, I have made mine with fresh flowers and also with
dried material. I even made an arrangement using a Styrofoam cone and fruit
and vegetables.
 Silk flowers are easy to work with and don’t die, but they do get dusty.
There are many types of flowers available.
There are berries and leaves of all kinds you can get.

Flower arranging is a very personal expression of one’s own preferences.
There are no “right” ways to do it. If I were to ever teach a class in
flower arranging I would focus on concepts not on a specific actual
arrangement.
For example, how to use color, how to use fillers, how to create the
illusion of movement. The relationship between the size of the container and
the height of the arrangement. I have never used the clock method for
arranging flowers because it is a 3-dimentional project you must work on
height and depth and side to side aspects simultaneously. .

I have never taken a flower arrangement class although I have attended some
presentations given by my garden club and have had help from other garden
club members to learn the things I did.

Yes, Denise blind folks can arrange flowers however; this is one class that
would be a real challenge to teach via phone or email. I feel overwhelmed by
the thought of it right now.

Cathy F