[Nfb-krafters-korner] Explaining Colors

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 02:06:30 UTC 2014

Hi LM,

This was a wonderful description of the color wheel and all the variations.
I felt overwhelmed at the thought of trying to explain all of these concepts
to everyone on the list, and am glad I didn't try because you did a
fantastic job.

I used to be able to see colors so to those of us who have seen them, this
color wheel probably is easier to understand as we can picture the colors on
the wheel as you describe them. however, for those who have never seen color
I would suppose that it would be much more difficult and that the best idea
might be to simply use the numbers and match them in the alternatives
described would be helpful in choosing matching colors for any project. you
know kind of like a mathematic formula.  If you want four colors you can use
the numbers and different options described to choose your colors.
What I personally would like to know is whether a tinted color would match
with an untinted color, or  whether a shaded color would match with a tinted
color. Or what about matching a toned color with a shaded or tinted color?
For example, red and green go together, but what if one of these colors was
tinted, or one tinted and one shaded, or one toned and one plain.
Hmm, Also, what about brown? Where does brown fit in and what colors is it
made up of, and is there a color wheel for shades of brown?
I remember as a child my mother reading us kids this book about kittens
playing with buckets of paints. Buckets kept being knocked over and forming
new colors. From what I recall when all buckets were dumped over it created
brown? So is brown a combination of all colors with perhaps more of one than
of another to create the shades of that color?

colors are fascinating to me and losing my color perception was a rather
traumatic experience for me when it happened. It still saddens me when I
cannot see the blue of the sky, green of the grass, white of the snow, or
what color of yarn is in my hand. <sigh>
Ah well, pity party over for now. <smile>
Cathy F